Becoming an RISIA

ICCRC’s federal mandate stems from the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Citizenship Act which require anyone providing Canadian immigration or citizenship advice or representation for a fee or other consideration to be a member in good standing of ICCRC. Exceptions are members in good standing of a law society in Canada or the Chambre des notaires du Québec.

The Council is currently embarking on several substantive changes to the registration application policies and systems, which is expected to launch in 2020. This is part of a bigger initiative to upgrade our technology and business processes so we can offer more efficient services. The Council is dedicated to providing customer-centric services while remaining fully committed to public safety.
If you have previously registered on our former online portal, you have not applied to sit the Entry-to-Practice (EPE) exam. You must complete the new Registration Form and submit via email to sit the exam.
You must complete the RISIA EPE Registration Application Form linked below using the Registration Application Information Sheet. The Information Sheet supersedes information presented in the 2018-001 Registration Guide, and provides the current requirements and registration processes to ensure that your application is complete. Please note that the Guide may be used as a tool to assist you in completing the application, but several changes have been made to the process.
Before completing the RISIA EPE Registration Application Form, please note the following:
  1. You will only have an C number if you have previously written the EPE. If you are applying to write for the first time, please leave that field blank.
  2. Transcripts are not required for those who completed their program in 2019. If you completed your program in 2018 or before, please include your transcript with your application or confirm that ICCRC has it on file.
  3. You must write the exam at one of the offered exam sites, and we will attempt to accommodate all exam site preferences, depending on availability and demand. Remote invigilation is no longer offered.
RISIA Application Form (which includes the Checklist and Registration Information Sheet)
The completed application form should be submitted by email to


2018-001 Registration Guide (RISIA)