How we Protect the Public

ICCRC is the national regulatory body authorized by the government of Canada to safeguard consumers by regulating two professions: immigration consultants and international student advisors.

ICCRC was established in July 2011 by the federal department of Citizenship & Immigration Canada, in adherence to Section 91 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA), which states that anyone who provides Canadian immigration services for a fee or other consideration, must be registered and in good standing with ICCRC.

Immigration Consultants
Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs)

Immigration consultants are professionals who assist with immigration advice and representation. All consultants providing Canadian immigration services must be Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultants (RCICs).

To check if a consultant is registered with ICCRC, please visit our Find a Professional section.

Becoming an RCIC

Persons wishing to become an immigration consultant must successfully complete an accredited training program and an entry-to-practice exam. Once admitted to the profession, they must adhere to high professional requirements that include additional hours of continuous professional development as well as mandatory practice management education courses developed and taught by ICCRC.

Complaints and Discipline

A robust complaints and discipline process has been developed to protect consumers. All complaints filed against RCICs are investigated by an arms-length body and, when warranted, forwarded to the Complaints Committee and the Discipline Committee, who, following a hearing, may sanction an RCIC for professional misconduct.


International Student Advisors
Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs)

International Student Advisors are professionals employed in the education sector as employees who provide immigration advice to international students and their dependents. It was determined in 2014, that Canadian International Student Advisors would be regulated by ICCRC and designated as RISIAs.

The practice of a RISIA is limited to providing immigration advice only in the area of Study Permits, Temporary Resident Visas, and how Study Permits relate to other currently available Canadian immigration programs. Any further immigration advice requires a RISIA to obtain RCIC status.

Complaints and Discipline

Complaints against RISIAs can be filed with their employer. RISIAs are required to notify ICCRC of any complaints against them at which time the Council’s Registrar can investigate the complaint and make a determination on whether or not to impose a disciplinary measure against the RISIA.